Thank you both for your replies. The reason I would prefer the 'latest'
is twofold. Firstly, it seems from the many posts that I've read about
NAS and squeezebox, the more memory and faster processor you have the
better perfomance you will get. The new ReadyNAS comes with 2GB and a
dual core 2.1ghz processor. Now this may maybe complete overkill for my
current needs but it seems to me that getting the latest now gives me a
little 'future proofing'. I'm not one to turn over my gear every two
years so it makes sense to get the latest and keep it longer. Secondly,
it also means that I will still get support if needed rather than buying
an older line that is phased out and no longer supported. I realise I
will be paying more and there will be cheaper solutions that provide the
same outcome but as I said I dont want to get something now and find in
18 months I have to upgrade because my needs have changed and my 'old'
NAS doesnt cut it anymore. I've already read a few  posts (not on this
site) of people wanting to upgrade their NAS to the new line because
they have 'outgrown' their existing gear.

However, its all somewhat redundant if Squeezebox doesnt run on it. Is
there a chance that someone will provide an 'add on' for it?