kouta wrote:
> Thank you both for your replies. The reason I would prefer the 'latest'
> is twofold. Firstly, it seems from the many posts that I've read about
> NAS and squeezebox, the more memory and faster processor you have the
> better perfomance you will get. The new ReadyNAS comes with 2GB and a
> dual core 2.1ghz processor. Now this may be complete overkill for my
> current needs but it seems to me that getting the latest now gives me a
> little 'future proofing'. I'm not one to turn over my gear every two
> years so it makes sense to get the latest and keep it longer. Secondly,
> it also means that I will still get support if needed rather than buying
> an older line that is phased out and no longer supported. I realise I
> will be paying more and there will be cheaper solutions that provide the
> same outcome but as I said I dont want to get something now and find in
> 18 months I have to upgrade because my needs have changed and my 'old'
> NAS doesnt cut it anymore. I've already read a few  posts (not on this
> site) of people wanting to upgrade their NAS to the new line because
> they have 'outgrown' their existing gear.
>
> However, its all somewhat redundant if Squeezebox doesnt run on it. Is
> there a chance that someone will provide an 'add on' for it?

Just make sure you select a NAS with an x86 processor. I have run LMS on
both a ReadyNAS NV+ and a NVX. While LMS runs fine on both models, the
NVX with an x86 processor is very fast. The performance difference of
LMS on both models is very noticeable.
Never had one issue with ReadyNAS and I would stick with these. They are
very well build, are packed with wonderful features and there is great
support through their forums. Yes the frontview pages don’t look too
slick but that is not important for a NAS. The performance, built
quality and feature set is what’s important. You can’t go wrong with
ReadyNAS.
For now, I would get the ULTRA series. LMS is supported on these and you
might get a good deal on it. Don’t worry about support; netgear has
committed themselves to continue support and even bug fixes if required
on these models.