hi all,
Having thought about it, I've decided to move my LMS from the family PC,
and rescan the CDs to FLAC. I'm going to use a vortexbox. This was one
of my options, and the final choice was driven by getting one at a
reasonable price on ebay recently.

So, I'll probably have to update the VB software for a start, and I can
see that there are other decisions to be made such as how to rip (using
the VB appliance's or the PC and dbpoweramp?); which FLAC quality; how
to get the tags right from the outset; how best to keep the mp3s for the
ipods; etc. Any views on all of these will certainly be appreciated.

For the moment though, the first question I have - and maybe not even
the most important - is how to manage the transition? I have x hundred
CDs to re-rip, and that's not going to happen in a great hurry. Should I
disable LMS on the VB until I have the ripping finished (continuing to
use the PC and my current LMS setup) or do it differently somehow? If I
was doing it 'piecemeal' or incrementally, presumably I'd have to go
along deleting mp3 versions of CDs as and when I managed to get them
into FLAC format?

I'm probably also going to have to add a network or LAN switch to
facilitate this, so lots more new stuff to learn.

Any thougts or comments from anyone who's been through this or something
similar would be appreciated.

many thanks

Donald

SB "user" since 2000...
2 x SB1 ; 2 x SB3 ; 2 x Boom ; 1 x Touch ; 1 x Controller
Windows 7 and LMS Version: 7.7.3 - 1375965195

Next step... a Vortexbox?