Apesbrain wrote:
> If I were taking on this task, while re-ripping CDs to the Vortexbox I'd
> leave my existing configuration alone so I (and my family) could
> continue to enjoy it.  (The last thing I'd want to be doing is a lot of
> tech support during this process!)

that is what I was initially thinking. To be honest, no-one really
engages with LMS and the SBs apart from me, but as the kids get older,
that's likely to change - but if I do anything drastic, I'm as likely to
be looking for tech support via this forum as anyone!

Apesbrain wrote:
>  Vortexbox as a ripper will automatically fetch tags and can be
> configured to mirror your FLACs to MP3 as you create them.  All your
> Vortexbox needs is access to power and your network. It doesn't really
> matter if you have LMS running on the Vortexbox; your Squeezeboxes will
> stay connected to your old server until such time as you force that
> change.  When you've completed your re-rips, terminate/uninstall the old
> server, shut everything down (1. Squeezeboxes, 2. servers, 3. router, 4.
> cable modem), wire the Vortexbox to your router, and bring everything
> back up in the reverse order.

Just a little confused by this: if the VB needs power and network access
(presumably to the internet for database/album art etc) then wouldn't it
have to be connected to the router the whole time? Probably I'm reading
what you've written too literally..? But apart from that, it makes sense
to me.

Apesbrain wrote:
> One minor quibble with suggestion above regarding VBR -V0 for MP3:
> presumably you are maintaining MP3 copies so that you can copy them to
> your portable devices.  These devices typically have limited storage
> space and are used in listening situations where ultimate fidelity is
> less of a concern.  Using VBR -V2 (~190kbps) or even -V4 (~165kbps) will
> allow more content to be stored on your portables with little if any
> perceptual quality loss.
>
> More information:
> http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

As I mentioned above, I think I'm already using VBR. The portable
devices are all ipods, 8Gb, 30Gb I think. I have had to be a little
selective in what goes on and what stays off, but it hasn't really been
a big issue. However, I had been using VBR on the basis that these were
my only copies of the music, and were being streamed to the SBs - now
that 'restriction' will be lifted, I realise that I would be able to
keep lesser bitrate MP3s and get more onto the devices.

Thanks

SB "user" since 2000...
2 x SB1 ; 2 x SB3 ; 2 x Boom ; 1 x Touch ; 1 x Controller
Windows 7 and LMS Version: 7.7.3 - 1375965195

Next step... a Vortexbox?