A comment on ripping to FLAC. All FLAC is the same quality - LOSSLESS.
The difference is the amount of compression. I believe the default is 5.
The higher the compression the more processor will be required to
compress it. On the decoding side I'm under the impression that this is
fairly CPU efficient regardless of the compression level specified when
ripping. So as far as "quality" goes compression level 0 and compression
level 8 will both render the same "quality" which is lossless.

On the transition. You mention that you'll keep the MP3's for your
iPods, etc. so based on that you should be keeping a MP3 copy AND a FLAC
copy. If you use DBPowerAmp on a PC to do your ripping (DBPowerAmp is
probably the BEST ripper out there) you can create both the FLAC and
MP3's on the same rip of the CD (more later on why you may want to also
create new MP3 of your current library). You can do a phased transition
with a approach something like this. On the VB do a directory structure
like;

On LMS you would set your music folder to "SQ/". Initially you would
you would place the new FLAC rips in the
then do the scan. This way you won't have duplicate albums showing up in
LMS. If you're really using iThings you'll probable do the MP3's on
either a MAC or a Win box where you can have iTunes to manage the
content of the iDevice.

Don't know what quality your current MP3's are so that may be a
consideration as you're re-ripping your CD's. Unlike FLAC, the bitrate
selected for your MP3's DOES affect quality. The highest bitrate MP3's
are generally the best quality. My personal preference is VBR (Variable
Bit Rate) using -v0 which is the highest quality. The thing I like about
VBR is that things like silence / simple will be compressed to almost
nothing as far as required bits to contain the music goes where the most
complex parts of the music will use the highest bit rate to store the
music. So you get the quality of a CBR 320 using less space where it is
appropriate.

Have fun over the next few months as you go through the transition and
make sure you pay close attention to your tagging! The tags are the most
important things in having a well organized library.

2 Duets - 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs
Rock Solid with LMS 7.7.3 and WHS 2011