The Mediasonic hard drive enclosure has really helped decrease the
complexity of my server.  However, it has not been without a few
glitches.  The main one being that it's firmware is finicky about USB 3.
Initially the enclosure only connected to the server laptop at USB 2
speeds which really makes transfers and backup exponentially longer.

I updated the laptop BIOS and found one setting for USB 3 that could be
varied (I cannot remember what it was, and I don't want to reboot the
laptop to find out what that setting was because it's a shoutcast server
also).  I changed that setting and since that time the enclosure has
connected consistently at USB 3.  The setting change was not intuitive.
I just go lucky.

I have been using a USB 3 single hard drive docking station as a backup
device, and I adopted '\"Backup Maker\"' (https://www.ascomp.de/en/) as
as my backup tool for the following reasons:

1.  Wizard setup of saved backup profiles for each drive
2.  Incremental backup
3.  Freeware (with a nag at the end of each backup.)

So once the complete backup of each drive was completed, subsequent
incremental backups take only a few minutes once a week.

I'm also implementing a new server computer as per another thread which
has led to whole new series of technical challenges (lesson so far:
don't buy HP laptops).

Jim

http://zzzone.net
http://have-a-nice-day.org
http://www.last.fm/user/zzzoneDOTnet
http://somethingsomethingsomething.net

dBpoweramp
Cisco E4200
SBS 7.8 - i7 laptop - Win 7 64bit
3 Booms, 2 Radio, 1 Touch, 1 iPod Touch w/digital dock
2 controllers, various tablets/phones
Various apps including iPeng, Logitech Android, etc.
'Library' (http://zzzone.net/photo/2009/music1.jpg): 231,000+ FLAC/MP3
files - 12 TB HD
Onkyo TX-NR818, KEF Q300/Q200/iQ30, Outlaw LFM-1 Plus