JJZolx wrote:
> I've tried to convince some technically semi-literate friends that if
> they buy a NAS and use RAID there is a very good chance that when (not
> if) they lose a hard drive, they or the hardware or the software are
> going to f**k thingS up before or during the rebuilding process to make
> that array unrecoverable. In most cases it will be user error. I also
> try to convince them of the need for backups, but some see that RAID
> array as the solution to their problems. Two of them lost arrays
> completely, and one had no backup and lost everything.
>

> Constantly mirroring is both senseless and dangerous. If you consider
> this to be a 'backup', then it completely defeats the purpose of having
> a backup. If you accidentally delete something, or the files are
> inadvertently changed or corrupted or, then the deletions, unintended
> changes and corruptions are then mirrored to the second system. If
> you're using mirroring for backup, you should only do backups manually
> and you should do something to assure yourself that the original library
> is healthy before performing a backup. For a music library, you can get
> a file count to guard against deletions, and if the files are encoded in
> FLAC, you can run a test across the library to be sure files are not
> corrupted. You can also often run mirroring software with a test switch
> to first see how many files will be copied.

In this case constant mirroring provides instant fallback operation
should 2 drives in one enclosure fail. I couldn't possibly consider that
either senseless or dangerous. Perhaps I did not make it clear that this
is TWO NAS enclosures and that the mirroring provides a CONSTANT
backup.

Unlike most Linux-based home-office NAS the Synology also support
Recycle Bin on a folder by folder basis and there is also a setting that
can restrict Recycle Bin access to administrators only.