Just installed squeezeplayer on my FireTV (bluegaspode sent me the apk -
thanks a lot!)
It works fine if the FireTV is connected through WiFi to the network. It
does not work at all if it's connected through wired connection.

My fireTV is connected over HDMI to the AV-Receiver. Adjusting volume at
the FireTV is not possible. After 10 minutes, the screensaver of the
FireTV starts, but music continues. Have to find out if the FireTV will
go to standby after 30 minutes (but I'm sure there's some hack out there
to prevent that). Also I have to find out how to start Squeezeplayer
automatically after bootup of the AFT.