@pippin

I'm not adverse to paying for a service, it's just a matter of what I
pay for. If I use Deezer, then I pay for Deezer. If somebody creates a
plugin for the Squeezebox/LMS then I'd gladly pay for that as well. Same
goes for other services. I'm just not sure that creating a new platform
service is going to be viable, let alone profitable.
Sonos and similar companies sell Hardware, and they have their specific
apps and plugins for that hardware.
Your service is more interesting for the DIY crowd I think, which is
great, but for a Service that has running costs (Server, Developers,
License fees etc.) you'd need a large userbase and regular cash-flow
which might be hard to achieve without dedicated Hardware
Players/Servers that can be found on Amazon/MediaMarkt and so on.

But I hope it will work out for you (and in extension all of us here)
because it will help keep the great LMS system alive. And with
Squeezelite and Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry DAC/Digi/Amp this system is
actually a lot better-sounding than any Sonos I've ever tried, if a bit
harder to set up... ;)