I'm not sure whether it's shrinking or not....  Certainly there are
people out there getting rid of players, but every time any working
classics come on ebay, you'd be lucky to get them for under £60, and
many are selling for £80+ - similarly, working Touchs and duets seem to
go for over £100.  I've been slowly expanding my network of them as a
result, and making use of things like squeezeplug on pi and the wolfson
card to add to the estate.

The iphone style apps mean that you can use your phone as a controller
now, and use some networked raspberry pis to give yourself a really
cheap alternative to off the shelf home media centres.  I'd reckon the
number of devices out there is slightly increasing as a result, but the
number of people using them is probably showing a slight decline - but
that's purely speculation!