callesoroe wrote:
> No. The MUSIC file is still bit perfect if it is 16 bit material. The
> volume correction is done in the added extra bits. This is why you shall
> put the replay gain tag on your files after ripping.
1. We should move this to a new thread.
2. This is just plain wrong.
Replay gain works by multiplying each sample with the gain value. I've
seen the code.
Also, you can't do any correction in "the additional bits" because these
bits are in the -96db+ rande and I doubt you'd bother to do any replay
gain that faint. And if you don't want to get into rounding errors and
just bit-shift (which is _not_ what is happening) you'd have to change
volume in -3dB steps but that won't give you "even" volume.

On some systems gain (both replay gain and volume control) can be used
separate from the actual music info, under certain circumstances iPeng
is doing that (depending on the output hardware) but it's not what the
Squeezeboxes are doing and you can't do it with digital audio outputs
(SPDIF et al), I'm not 100% sure about USB audio (AirPlay does it, the
old iPod interface with the 30 Pin connector did it). This is usually
done _instead_ of moving to 24 bits.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*