pippin wrote:
> On some systems gain (both replay gain and volume control) can be used
> separate from the actual music info, under certain circumstances iPeng
> is doing that (depending on the output hardware) but it's not what the
> Squeezeboxes are doing and you can't do it with digital audio outputs
> (SPDIF et al), I'm not 100% sure about USB audio (AirPlay does it, the
> old iPod interface with the 30 Pin connector did it). This is usually
> done _instead_ of moving to 24 bits.

Yes, USB audio can do that - but it is, as you say, exactly the same as
using the volume control - the USB DAC doesn't know anything about
replay gain.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953