Ins236 wrote:
> MQA has closed source libraries for most intel & arm linux platforms
>
> One manufacturer of music servers in this list is selling the open
> source MPD (music player daemon) as their own player without telling
> their customers. The customers box does not include the GPL license or
> modified source code. Same applies for the website and manuals: it's all
> hidden from the audiophile buyer that they use an existing OSS player.
>
> They have announced to decode MQA in their products, which means they
> will add the closed source decoder to MPD 0.17 which they use, as
> there's no other way to decode MQA from within MPD (mpd is both server
> and player in one binary). MPD can't call an external player to do the
> work, all new formats and decoders have to be added to the decoderlist
> files in the source tree.
>
> So even though it is closed software, as soon as you integrate closed
> software like MQA into GPLv2 or v3, the whole modified work has to be
> released under the GPL.
> So as soon as someone makes this mistake, you can obtain the source as
> it is a derived work.
Both Auralic (0.18.x) and Aurender (0.17.x) are using MPD. I have looked
briefly at Aurenders source and they are using a couple of exec calls to
circumvent the GPL on *some* things. i cannot say for certain that this
is the case with all of their code. (Tidal integration and other stuff)

Auralic are denying that they use MPD but it's obvious that they do use
MPD since they forgot to change the client string. You can search for it
on the Minimserver forums. They are probably violating the GPL big time
in all sorts of manners and getting away with it. Anyways karma will
win, they'll get hit by a suit someday and that will be the end of the
company.