Yes, that's what that means.
The problem is: the way the Squeezeboxes work they always need a server
to operate, either MySqueezebox.com or LMS.
That's also where the content menus for services come from.
We can't get into MySqueezebox.com so LMS is actually the only place
where we can add services through ickStream.

Now... LMS can run on the Touch as well as you know and although it
lacks an installer you can technically (if done manually) also install
plugins there and this might actually even work with the ickStream
plugin (haven't tried it).

But the applet does something else, it's a software that runs only on
the Touch and plays locally there, it can't be controlled with e.g.
iPeng. But in the case of the ickStream applet it could be controlled
with an ickStream controller, but what you can not do that way is
control all the other Squeezebox functionality on the Touch. It was
really meant to offer a compatibility path to a different system.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*