relayer wrote:
> Thanks, that's great to know! I read that the Orbi could be reprogrammed
> to split the 2.4 and 5ghz networks. What was the reason you decided to
> go that route as opposed to just leaving them combined? I've read of
> some people with devices getting stuck on the 2.4.
For me the difference between 2.4g and 5g relate to reach and
throughput.  5GHz has less penetration and so can be result in poorer
signal through brick walls and chimney breasts.  Having seprate SSIDs
allows me to control which network to use rather than let the device
pick because in marginal areas device may alternate between 2.54 & 5 and
with delays in service.  If a device gets "stuck" on 2.4 it is probably
because 5Ghz doesn't have the same reach - many users don't realise
this. Small but solid obstructions can seriously affect 5GHz.

2.4g is more crowded so I want to minimise use of 2.4Ghz - neighbours in
similar houses have mulitple SSIDs on 2.4GHz with mulitple channels but
do not seem to use 5GHz or at least I don't "see" 5GHz networks.