I am using Spotty and LMS 7.9.1. I actually eventually bit the bullet
and upgraded to 7.9.1 *because* I use Spotify (and hence Spotty) a lot.
Indeed it is awesome to discover new music, ot to check out new music by
a fav artist before plonking down on the CD ti rip it and get that
infinitesimal AQ extra. :-D

7.9.1 is absolutely rock solid. Works actually better than the old
versions, IMHO. And integration with Spotify via Spotty in 7.9.1 is
awesome. So my recommendation is to bite the bullet and upgrade to 7.9.1
and leave things like that, it's far less work than setting up a
separate Pi-based system, I'd imagine.

Only caveat with using Spotify through Spotty is that, while you can of
course create great playlists, when you save them within LMS they shall
stay in LMS, and not propagate to Spotify (say, when you're in the gym
and want to listen to a playlist you created through LMS). I tent to use
the two systems for different music listening styles, so it suits me,
but YMMV.

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu
16.04 + LMS 7.9
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado
PS500e/Shure 1540