I have been pretty happy with my PiCorePlayer.  I did a blog entry on it
at https://blog.lns.com/?p=151

The way I got this going was to plug the Raspberry Pi plug into my wired
network, log int and have it look for my wireless network, select the
SSID and put in the creds (PSK).  Save and reboot w/o having it plugged
into the wired network. Did you get that far?