My capacity to do the wrong thing never ceases to amaze me.

I finally got the RPi back on wireless tonight. But that was only after
a.) trying to solve the problem by turning off wifi completely rather
than just disabling the internal hardware, b.) trying a workaround using
an old gaming hotspot that basically makes the device it's hooked up to
think it's plugged into ethernet, c.) again reflashing the OS. The only
thing I didn't do was sacrifice chickens.

And, ummm, listen to what was advised here.

I finally,finally got less stupid tonight and plugged the RPi into the
router directly, which produced the excellent configuration pages, and -
yes - it became kinda obvious that I had not done this right. So I
turned wifi back on, disabled the internal wifi and, surprise, surprise,
the router sees it just fine. Finished the configuration, identified the
audio device I'm using (an old DAC) and everything is back to normal.

So thank you Paul for the help. I'm delighted to know I can continue to
replace Squeezebox hardware as needed with RPis.

best,

s.