puppydaddy wrote:
> I too have a SB Classic which has just seemed to die on me. It was
> working just fine until we had a power fluctuation and now it won't come
> on. After going over the blog post linked at the beginning of the
> thread, I can see that the red LED is flickering -- going on and off
> multiple times per second -- which is an indication that the SB is
> rebooting constantly. Thanks a lot for the very informative blog btw, so
> much better than just staring at the damn thing wondering what has
> happened to it.
>
> Is there anything I can do at this point to try and diagnose further
> without opening up the device? I'm considering buying another 5V/2A
> power supply but a bit unsure if I should be trying something else
> before jumping into that.

Hi there,

I would guess that trying a new power supply is a sensible first step.
They are the most frequent failure point and a power outage is often the
point where they no longer get to their feet because of the startup
stress that they haven't had in a long time of constantly being powered.
However, I cannot guarantee you that this is all you need to do. If the
SB3 still fails with the new PSU, it's likely that the situation is
similar inside it, i.e. capacitors needed for a clean startup and to
filter ripple are no longer able to do their job and cause the system to
be unstable or even unable to boot at all. Replacement of the internal
SMD capacitors is my step #2 in this situation usually.
I hate to give you more worries but eventually it could be CPU death
which is not recoverable no matter what. All we can do is hope that it's
only one or both of the other two options mentioned.
Let me know if you need more detail or advice. If you are inside EU, you
might consider sending me the unit to Germany for a full diagnosis (free
of charge). I'm in good training regarding the replacement of SMD
capacitors and testing power supplies. I could not cure CPU death but a
lot of other issues.

Cheers,
Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog:
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?rinli=1&pli=1&blogID=5053304027701850753#allposts