I don't see why this is being taken as such an absurd request by some.
Sean has certainly made clear Slim's reasons, and he makes a lot of
sense. But it it was almost a deal breaker for me when I first
purchased my Squeezebox. I bought a SB1 and a Soundbridge M1000 to
compare head to head. The SB1 always burped on AAC transcodes, while
the M1000 played them perfectly over the same connection. With my
server being my main day-to-day machine, I didn't want to mess with
transcoding either. Luckily for me, the SB2 came out with 30 days of my
SB1 purchase, so I returned both the SB1 and the M1000 and got a SB2.
While the SB1 had a lot more power and possibility, the M1000 had a bit
smoother out of the box experience.

I'm not sure what the harshness towards 'average users' is all about.
While Slimserver and Squeezebox are wonderful and have a fantastic
number of options, it does sometimes seem that ease of use and
simplicity take a back seat. Again, only going by my experience, but
I've had the SB2 for going on a year now, and my wife still can't get
the hang of it. She's far from a techie, but she still prefers to take
5 CDs from their cases, put them in the player and hit shuffle... This
is as opposed to our Tivo, which, in a sense, is a similar type of
device. She took to that very easily, and now couldn't live without it.
There is something to be said for ease of use.

Sorry about the threadjack there, but it was just a bit discouraging to
see a couple of posts with folks disparaging 'average users' who may not
live and breath this stuff and want to spend every waking moment
fiddling with it...

--
Ben