many thanks for the suggestions, but sadly still drawing a blank. I run
other wireless connections to the same router with no issue.  No
obvious nearby items which would interfere such as cordless phones +
I'd tried range of the wireless channels on the router just in case
(01-13).

SB3 also crashes when SB3 wirelessly linked to SlimNetwork (with PC
switched off), so this presumably elmates SlimServer as a suspect.

This leaves SB3 and Netgear DG834G as possible sources of problem.  As
the latter works fine with other devices, I must assume the SB3 is the
guilty party (especially as it is demonstrating a tendancy to crash),
either due to v28 firmware issue, else a fauly box.

Can anyone from SlimDevices offer some help or suggestions on this one
please ?

--
SteveL