slimdemage Wrote:
> I ran into a number of the exact same problems, then returned the
> Squeezebox3 after too many wireless dropouts and crashes. They are
> claiming my unit had a "bad" wireless card. Perhaps your unit is
> defective. Isn't fun paying $300 to test this product? It's like a
> hobby! I am still really looking forward to a working wireless music
> setup, someday.

I must admit I can see both sides to this. I bought into the community
and open source nature of SlimDevices because I like to tweak and
modify my setup, but I can also see how someone seeing the SB in a
review would not expect to have to touch a damn thing after
installation.

There is a dilemma here, to be more successful for those people who
want to install and leave alone, then it has to be a lot more solid out
of the box. No matter how many times you can point to inferior products,
that doesn't make this one better. At the same time it still has to
appeal to the community that contribute and therefore be fast moving.

I personally think the answer is to have much more solid and
well-tested releases for more general users, rather than enthusiasts.
These would be updated a lot less often and be more rigorously QA'd.
The nuts like me who like to live on the bleeding edge can carry our
with the nightlies and betas and scratch our heads when it doesn't
work. I know it's kind of like this already, but I think the builds for
people who don't want to fiddle need to be more robust. The fact that
Roku are tied to products like iTunes gives them that.

Paul

--
CardinalFang