On 5/24/06, JSonnabend wrote:

Perhaps a better solution would be to stop SlimServer from messing with
DB entries once they've been populated.  That way, anyone could write
an external app to populate the db without worrying about tags, sorting
algorithms, etc.

As it stands now, SlimServer "updates" DB entries whenever it plays a
track.  There was a thread on this earlier.

This viewpoint comes up every now and then, and gets hotly contested.
I agree that the database would be more useful if it was 'persistent',
i.e. didn't rely on wipe/rescan to fix minor problems.
BUT, that said, I think it is worth treating the DB as more of an
index to your tags.  The tags are the actual data that means
something; the database is just an optimised way of indexing those
tags to make searching faster.  If the index gets corrupt, say, that
implies the need for an index rebuild (wipe/rescan).

Personally, I think that any extra data (e.g. ratings) should be
stored in the file as custom tags, since that's as persistent as it
gets, and generically indexed in a similar fashion to the standard
tags in the DB; but I don't have to synch my music to limited-function
portable players, so have no clue whether having non-standard tags
would create problems.

Cheers,
Geoff