seanadams Wrote:
> Actually, i2s barely begins to solve the problem. Sure, it eliminates
> s/pdif's embedding of the clock, but you're still subject to noise in
> transmitting the clock to the DAC. The right solution is to put the
> oscillator in the DAC, and then send a clock signal _back_ to the
> source (via word clock, mclk, or even s/pdif).

Sean,

Thanks for your reply.

My point is that although i2s doesn't resolve the whole jitter issue,
it's still does substantially better job then SPDIF. For some reason
word clock link gathers too little attention from hi-end consumer audio
world, and i2s is really "in fashion" these days. Which, in turn, makes
better chances there will be more DACs that can accept such a input in
the foreseeable future.

Another note is that if my understanding is correct, Squeezebox is
"i2s-ready", i.e. implementation of i2s output in Squeezebox doesn't
require architectural changes, unlike implementation of optional word
clock link.

So, considering all the above, its better to have something then
nothing.

--
325xi