The point about my question was that I know about some products but not
recent packaging.

I know that the near competitors such as Noxon, Homepod and Roku didn't
come with software but suggested what software would work and where to
download it.  I believe Philips have their own proprietary software and
bundle it.

I am not sure about MP3 players but I have an iRiver H320 - it didn't
come with software but again it said what s/w could be used.

I think the market for these Squeezebox/"Media renderers" devices is
changing as a result of popularity of iPod type and MP3 players in
phones.  The sophistication of the Squeezebox devices has also grown
from basic SliMP3 to high quality SB3 - perversely the type of customer
is also changing from technical users who enjoy the DIY nature to users
who want the  MS/Apple approach. So the user's expectation of the
product bundle has also changed especillay in the last year. Some
parallels could be drawn with digital cameras - initially very
technical - now for the masses.

The users don't want to read much documentnation (e.g. PC installation
changed from a manual to one page with small amount of text), users
just want to turn it on, let it go and listen to music ASAP. Many don't
really worry about formats or tagging until they get to know and use the
product in earnest and then find out the significance of format and
tagging.

On competitive products forums it looks like most of the user are happy
to use iTunes or WMP and their problem are mainly WiFi, DRM related or
unsupported formats.

One approach in the slimserver context would be as part of installation
for absolute beginners (or users who have no ripped files) would be to
provide a Wizard and help user create a library of ripped CDs (in an
appropriate format and tagged) using WMP on Windows or iTunes on Apple
as these are default installations.  This could be as simple as
providing a one page set of instructions rather than expecting the new
user to look for and then find the Beginner's entry in Wiki.

--
bpa