wow.

the problem is horrible now.

it starts stuttering within minutes...  and all 3 streams are using the
latest version of shoutcast, ver 1.9.7

i primarily bought the squeezebox2 (not "sb3" btw) to do just this, to
listen to this internet station.  the problems its having with
shoutcast, which is incredibly popular and standard, are most
disappointing.

i haven't tried the other two streams, but the highest one they have,
128kbps, is the one i am testing & expecting to work, as 128 isn't that
high.

whats interesting is that when connected to SN it has happened, but not
as fast nor as hard to fix/restart once started.  this then relates to
my responses to your comments below:

bpa;144211 Wrote:
> In 6.5, if a stream can be handled directly by the SB3 (i.e. mp3, WMA
> and Ogg-vobis), SS will try to set it up - I think this is the way
> Squeezenetwork works as well.

i would guess you're right, and i would love it to be this way, IF it
worked properly, b/c i love the way the stream stays on even if you
reboot the computer.  but that isn't worth it if it can't handle normal
shoutcast streams.

also, do you happen to know if now the power button on the remote is
"real" now or has the way it works not changed?  it seems closer now to
a power cycle, altho i find i still have to often turn off my receiver
(and its switched outlet) to get the sb2 to power cycle.

bpa;144211 Wrote:
> Around the same time there have been lots of problem with shoutcasts so
> there may have been updates there as well.

well, like i said, it was fine by 6.2 - 6.3

so if this change is that now SS sees its way out of the process and
sb2 now does it alone, and thats what has introduced the problem, well,
then they need to fix the firmware asap.

is that what you are saying?

bpa;144211 Wrote:
> Given the SB3 works well with other MP3 sources, it would indicate the
> problem is with Shoutcast and/or network between your SB & Shoutcast.

i don't see how you draw this conclusion.

it seems to me that the problem is with this "new way" that SS/SB
handles .pls streams from shoutcast, esp since it USED to work just
dandy w/shoutcast.

i have no problem listening to the stream with winamp for example.

bpa;144211 Wrote:
> The problem may not have shown up in the past as the Shoutcast stream
> terminated in the PC and MP3 data was rebroadcast by SS to SB.

right, which once again, would indicate its a slim problem with its
"new way" as opposed to a SC/net problem.

bpa;144211 Wrote:
> At the moment you cannot force MP3 to be handled by SS - I am chasing a
> bug in this area and I found this anomaly.   So the only real way to
> find out what's going on (don't forget it could be a router issue !) is
> to fire up Ethereal or similar.

i def think the option should be there to force slim to do it the old
way, which i assume was having SS feed the SB, for at least as long as
these problems continue.

thx for your comments!

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 w/SS 6.5.0 - Win XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram