> Quote:
> Originally Posted by bpa View Post
> Given the SB3 works well with other MP3 sources, it would indicate the
> problem is with Shoutcast and/or network between your SB & Shoutcast.
>
> i don't see how you draw this conclusion.
>
> it seems to me that the problem is with this "new way" that SS/SB
> handles .pls streams from shoutcast, esp since it USED to work just
> dandy w/shoutcast.

I didn't phrase this clearly - I meant this is *Where* to look for the
problem not *What* is the cause of the problem.

It may be the interaction between the SB3 MP3/TCP stream and Shoutcasts
SB3 MP3/TCP stream that causes the problem but it could be something
like a router that is provoking the stuttering (e.g. flow control).

An example:
IIRC there have been 3 cases of mplayer (AlienBBC) problems which
caused PC crashes and jerkiness problems when playing BBC stations.
RealPlayer played them OK.  Updating the network driver cured two of
the problems and the other needed router firmware update.

These are rare but interactions along the whole network chain can cause
strange effects.  In 6.3 - the end point of the Shoutcast stream is your
PC, in 6.5 it is SB3 so TCP connection is different. If it is bandwidth
related then buffering on the PC may have been bigger or handled
differently and so hid this problem which has shown itself with the
SB.

I think something like Ethereal needs to be used to definitively state
whether it is an SB3 firmware issue or something else like bandwidth,
flow control, packet assembly etc.

--
bpa