The market for a server + client solution is obviously greater than that
of a client-only solution.  Slim devices already has the software and
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Logitech puts together the
box to run it.

Note, I think the idea propsed in the first message is way off base.
Very silly in fact.  Server plus client products yes, making some
frankenstein transporter that uses external storage (only) isn't ideal
to put it mildly.  Transporter should stay the same as it is, as a
client device.

As it stands, even though the Slim product line is very high quality,
it's not a suitable one for a consumer crowd.  Something more plug and
play is needed.

Most people are using portables for digital audio (stuff like the
iPod).  Including plenty of audiophiles.  People who want a two-box
pre-amp aren't audiophiles, they're just folks with too much money and
very little sense.

Installing your own software onto a machine to turn it into a server
can be thought of as complicating one's life.  Fine for you and me of
course.  The consumer market demands products to simplify life.

The Olive product line is decent.  Quoting $2999 without mentioning the
$899 product is a little unfair.

Anyone who thinks Logitech bought Slim only for its existing customer
base is being very short sighted.  Or for that matter for the
Squeezebox hardware.  I'm willing to bet they spent big bucks on the
acquisition and you'd better believe they plan on making back far more
than they spent in a relatively short time .  I'll mention the Harmony
example again. Logitech have already made back the purchase price
(close to US$30 million) with that operation.

How much income do you think Logitech is going to make selling the
current Squeezebox and Transporter?

--
MelonMonkey

Bruno
*'Twisted Melon - Fine Mac OS Software' (http://twistedmelon.com) |
'mira - Personal Control for your Apple Remote'
(http://twistedmelon.com)*