The audiotron was not great - I had one. Firstly, to clarify, it did
require server software (it needed an SMB server), it's just that said
software is included in many OSs these days. Setting it up correctly,
however, was no easier than setting up slimserver. Creating the correct
shares & setting up permissions so the player could see them caused
plenty of support issues. Navigation, searching and browsing were a
pain IMHO, and to cap it off I think there was a max track limit which
would probably sting a number of people here. Oh and of course no RSS,
no weather or sports scores, no support for many useful formats, not
even basics like gapless playback. Bear in mind you still have to have
a box running with the discs, the ONLY difference is whether you have
to spend 10 minutes installing slimserver. That seems like a small
price to pay for such an improved user experience. Only someone who's
never used an Audiotron could say it's more non-tech user friendly than
a Squeezebox!

> Just as I have the option when powering on my SB2 to connect to my
> slimserver or SqueezeNetwork, why not an additional option to browse a
> network attached hard drive for music? Would this be such a bad thing?
In isolation it wouldn't be a bad thing at all, more choice is (almost)
always better. The problem is, it's not going to exist in isolation.
Firstly there's support - we would now have Slimserver, Squeezenetwork
_and_ this new thing. Each with their own set of functionality and
support issues. Look at the forums, we have enough people getting
confused about the difference between SN and SS as it is, the last
thing we need is another server option. Secondly there's development.
Resources are limited, only so much can be developed at one time - so
if we do this what do we drop?

--
radish