ah, and the difference between me and the OP, who I think wants it the
way I have it....

> The fix (then) was
> to store ALL CDs like /genre/artist/album/song.mp3. Which is what I
> did, with all 1000 of them.

Ick.

That was never my fix: my music is stored as:

%n %t.ext

Ie, "03 This song sucks.flac" or something.

That is in a directory named for the album, sometimes including the
artist name, sometimes not.  Both of the following are valid subtrees
in my setup:

Sinatra/Greatest Hits/03 Frosty the snowman.mp3
Someone Else - Christmas Stuff/04 Frosty the snowman.mp3

The depth and granularity I make up as I go: artists with several
albums get their own directory.  Those with one or two, can be lumped
into a Genre directory with the artist name making part of the
directory name.

Yes, the varying depth means I cant use ls to find stuff: but I can use
find to, um, find stuff just as well:

find . -name \*Christmas\* -ls

This allows me to keep albums together (important for VA things: I
would rather not make a ton of directories for Last Waltz, for example
and I would hate trying to find them on my hd... assuming my server had
speakers, I can do:
cd "The Band/Last Waltz" ; mpg123 *mp3
or something and play the whole album).

I dont really see a reason to have consistent directory depth.  There
are two many variables: artists with one album can be tossed into a
OneHitWonders directory, while those with more works can be given their
own directory.  Sometimes I feel like a Genre, sometimes artists are
just too difficult to classify and I put them in a directory with
related artists.  (ie Parliament and Funkadelic can share a
directory.)

As long as you keep "one album per directory" and tag things correctly
(as much as I like guesstags, it really isnt as good as just fixing the
tags), you can order your filesystem as you like.

--
snarlydwarf