nah don't think you meant that at all, Radish.

I can't see the logic of splitting as the OP did for VA albums.
Scattering each track into a seperate folder like:

/John Duncan/1 Hymn.mp3
/Tricia Worden/2 Dear Friend.mp3
/Ui/3 Life Is Shorter.mp3

etc..

Makes no sense to me.  It breaks Album Art unless you embed them in
tags (which I hate doing, it only makes it more difficult to work with
them that way) and makes it hard to find anything.  Much better to do:

Misc/State of the Union/1-01 John Duncan- Hymn.mp3
Misc/State of the Union/1-02 Tricia Worden- Dear Friend.mp3
Misc/State of the Union/1-03 Ui- Life Is Shorter.mp3

Then everything is close, easy to work with and behaves correctly with
Slimserver as a bonus, either grouping VA into one or not, depending on
preference... but most importantly it won't do what the original poster
is seeing: making a new album for each track.

Personally, I like the change in 6.5: it meant that I didn't have to
keep teaching Slimserver about new common names: Best of, Acoustic,
Acústico, Greatest Hits, Perfil, Amazing Grace, Exposure, etc.  (I have
at least one of each of those: heck, 3 copies of Exposure... all by
Robert Fripp, all unique...)

Logically grouping files together so that all tracks from the same
album (or "disc" if you prefer to not combine discs... I vary depending
on the work) works fine, and is the best way to organize things without
getting into really annoying lists for common names.

But then I'm speaking to the choir for that since you already do that.

I am bothered that the OP said that the "right way" he was told here
was to do: artist/album/track, which is only true if "artist" is really
"albumartist"  Using track artist there makes for a mess not only in
slimserver, but also the filesystem.

--
snarlydwarf