The official Nokia flash thingy didn't really show anything that the 770
can't do. My guess is that it would require a hands-on to really get a
feel for whether big improvements had been made performance-wise.

Screen res is the same, and Opera 8 is still the browser (the OS
package in its entirety is likely to be the same), so the Nokia770 skin
will work the same on this device.

So, digest of improvements:
2 memory card slots, and they are SD instead of RS-MMC. Some users
report success with 4GB SD cards. That's fantastic--it means you could
beef it up to 8GB of storage, making it worthy of both PMP and/or
decent mp3 storage. I use my 770 on trips to store and watch videos (it
works *great* for this, although you have to reformat the video to a res
the 770 can handle). The 770 supports a 1GB RS-MMC card, which gives me
about 5 hours of content. I'd love to boost that by 8x.

Integrated webcam. Kind of cool, but I can't imagine I'd have much use
of this. To video conference with all my friends with N800s? Unlikely.
I don't want them to see me pickin' goobers anyway.

Increased CPU, from 220 to 320Mhz. This may be nice, but I think the
real performance upgrades on this platform needed are in WiFi and
battery life.

Increased on-board flash memory from 128 to 256. That was definitely
needed.

Built-in stereo speakers, replacing built-in mono of 770. This one also
matters naught to me--if you want to hear decent audio on this platform
you need headphones plugged in.

Built-in "kickstand". This probably costs Nokia next to nothing in
cost, but it's probably the feature upgrade I'm most pleased to see.
Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference.

Nice to see Nokia continuing to develop on this platform. I don't
really get a clear vision of how well the internet tablet thing is
going for them-- there are still a lot of people porting open source
stuff on to maemo.org, but I've quit looking at the main forum for 770
users, internettablettalk, because it's largely garbage and doesn't
have the kind of interesting discussions you'd hope (compared to this
forum, which is wildly successful, if a little contentious lately).

I'm certainly not going to be rushing out to purchase one of these, but
if one landed in my lap I'd be pretty psyched.

cheers,
#!/ben

--
bklaas