bklaas wrote:
Increased CPU, from 220 to 320Mhz. This may be nice, but I think the
real performance upgrades on this platform needed are in WiFi and
battery life.

You might not want to discount the CPU speed bump just based on the MHz diff. I haven't seen the CPU model number posted, but apparently it's a new class that isn't directly comparable in a MIPS-to-MHz fashion. Perhaps OMAP2420 in the N800 instead of OMAP1710 in the 770.

The new proc looks to have a DSP, and real hardware FPU (very useful for A/V codecs) and posts (notably bogus, and a single test, but...) BogoMIPS of 320.37 vs 125.76 from the 770.

The upshot being that between the CPU and memory bumps the new device could be significantly, noticeably, usefully faster than the 770.

I know I'm curious enough to head down to the local CompUSA for a test drive.

See:
http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2007/01/critical-question-answered-yes-n800-is.html
http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-January/006812.html

--rt