Trying not to jump on the sarcasm train...

It seems reasonable to me that:

1) Most people turn their home computers off when not in use, either to
save power or reduce noise at night.  Those who have SlimServer running
24x7 are not typical home computer users, and SlimDevices should not
expect all users to behave like this.

2) If someone turns something off, they anticipate that it will, at the
very least, stop flashing messages at them, unless they've specifically
configured it to display, for example, a clock when it's in "off"
(standby) mode.

So, aside from the fact that the original poster misdiagnosed the
problem with a healthy dose of paranoia, that doesn't change the fact
that this does not seem to be a good behavior.

In my opinion, SlimDevices COULD do something to improve this.  If the
user has opted for a blank screensaver for "off" mode, then I think
it's perfectly reasonable to assume they don't want the thing to
display messages at them when it's off.  So it shouldn't.  When the
user turns the thing on, and there's a server connectivity problem,
THEN it displays the message--because it's on and the user expects to
see messages displayed when it's on.  Seems like a reasonable approach
to me.

In the meantime, turning the brightness way down for off mode seems the
best short-term solution.  But it does seem to be a bad design choice,
in my opinion.

--
CatBus