Your logic of displaying brightness 0 even if your powered off
brightness setting is not 0 is flawed.  If my players are powered off
and I walk by them, I expect to see the time.  If I don't, I
immediately assume my internet connection is dead (or there has been a
horrible SN crash) and go to investigate.  If I instead see the
downtime message, I would know what's going on and that I still have an
internet connection.

Brightness within SN should function exactly as it does on SlimServer.
It's just the downtime service that's a special case.

--
andyg