Although my house has a number of devices which draw a small amount of
power when on standby, the effect of these is to add a little bit of
warmth to the house.  If they weren't doing it then the heating system
would have to do it.

Ok, that only applies in the winter, but it does mean that 'wasted
power' is only really wasted in the summer.

I tried to measure the background consumption of the house, with
everything off except those things that are generally on all the time
(e.g cordless phones, network router, wireless burglar alarm system, a
number of devices that are on standby like the SB).  Counting and
timing the fine graduations on the wheel in the meter unit suggested
that the house was using 150 watts.  That seems a bit high for 24x7,
maybe the fridge or freezer kicked in for part of the time.

--
karma mechanic