)p(;172862 Wrote:

> 3) A graphical remote. I would like to see a intelligent one that has a
> local copy of the database that is automatically synced with the
> slimserver database. I think apple tv does do it like that. An
> expensive  graphical remote that is not very responsive is a big no no
> for me.
>
> peter

A very interesting idea.  It would likely take only a little bit of
flash memory on the controller device (probably a better term than
"remote") to cache the SS DB, and would cut down considerably on the
over-the-air transactions that would tend to make the control sluggish.
The synching could be done on-demand or trickled as DB changes were
being made on the backend.

But the key element of a successful control device is not so much its
processing power per se, but control interfaces that are optimized for
media (in this regard, while the iPod is not perfect, it excels in its
elegance and simplicity well beyond most of its competition).

--
Balthazar_B