egd;184710 Wrote:
> No, but I have run w2k3 and Ubuntu on the box on various occasions -
> enough times to know that the performance difference was not a random
> anomaly.  I also have a 2nd box that I've tested in the same way and
> achieved the same outcome.  Not that hard to do because I have in the
> past had Linux and Windows SOEs for both PCs so the time requirement
> was minimal.
>
> The difference in scan speed under Linux versus Windows is so vast it
> is even audible.  Under Linux you can hear the ReadyNAS drives are
> processing a lot of data almost from the second you hit the rescan
> button.  Doing the same under Windows never puts the ReadyNAS under the
> same "pressure", in fact there is barely a discernible audible
> difference under Windows between the ReadyNAS being idle and performing
> a rescan.  If it wasn't for the blinking of the ReadyNAS HDD activity
> LED you'd think it was standing idle.
When I run a scan (from the Windows XP PC), the disk attached to the
NSLU2 churns constantly until the scan has completed.

--
jonheal

Jon Heal says:
Have a nice day!
http://www.theheals.org/
~~~
SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | Home-brew PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-395 | PSB
Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables |
Dayton Audio Interconnects