darrenyeats wrote:

> From what I've read from your link, rsnapshot isn't what I want. It
> seems rsnapshot is great for, erm, snapshots. But snapshots aren't
> backups.
>
> I want backups for when a disk fails, and it seems rsnapshot, by
> relying on hard links, is not intended to propagate data outside of the
> original filesystem. If my disk fails I lose the original data and all
> the snapshots, which is kind of disappointing! If I have got this wrong
> then, firstly, I apologise, and secondly, I am sure you will put me
> right :-)

You have got it wrong!

The "r" in rsnapshot stands for remote.

The basic idea is that the first run of the tool makes a copy of your
data, then subsequent runs use hard links to files that haven't changed
and only copy over files that have changed meaning that the total backup
size is much smaller.

HTH,

R.