Phil Leigh;229241 Wrote:
> Actually, I've just re-read your original post. You were having
> stuttering (occasionally?) with wireless streaming.
>
> Are you still having this?
> How are you wired up? - is the PC wired to the router and then wireless
> to the SB?
>
> Forget the network test for a moment - you don't need 5000kbs! (1500
> would be fine)
>
> IME no wireless system is completely immune to problems occasionally.
> This is normally the point when someone leaps in and says they've never
> had a problem - best to ignore them.
>
> I'm keen to know if you are having regular stuttering problems - and if
> you have tried changing the wireless channel?
>
> Remember that what SlimServer is doing is very different to almost any
> application you might be running wirelessly, so just because Internet
> Browsing (for example) seems perfect means nothing as far as seamless
> operation of SS is concerned.
>

> In my particular situation, I ended up hard-wiring my PC-ROUTER-SB to
> eliminate wi-fi issues messing with my audio pleasures.
>
> However, for my patio system (don't ask) I use Devolo DLAN 200AV
> powerplugs to get the TCP from the router to my external SB2.
>
> http://www.devolo.com/co_EN_cs/index.html
>
> This has so far been 100% reliable and may be worth considering IF you
> really want to get things stutter-free forever.

So maybe I've been mislead down the wrong path with this network test
issue?

Yes, I was periodically getting stutters/poor performance on FLAC
playback. I'd do a network test and voila it would be showing bad
values, even on 1000-3000...

People suggested wireless was the issue (the SB is 12ft away from the
router through a single wall), and when I once had bad performance I
carefully check my network and could see no issues. No other networks,
and the signal was as per normal.

So I've been using this test to detect issues! And trying to deduce
when/what is causing it. And voila I happened to start looking to see
if slimserver itself was the issue and if something else on the PC was
giving it problems... Hence me finding the thing with certain web
pages...

Now I of course cannot guarentee my previous problems were caused by
what I have discovered... Or if indeed I've simply found something odd
that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my actual problem...

If those web pages are conflicting with the network test, how is that
different to if slimserver is dishing out a FLAC file (1000kbps) to the
SB instead of the networks test (3000-5000kbps)? ie: Why can't those
webpages still produce problems with standard playback?

--
NeilF

shuttle sn45g, athlon 3200+, 512mb, xp pro (sp2), squeeze box 3
slimserver version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - windows xp - en - cp1252, perl
version: 5.8.8 mswin32-x86-multi-thread, mysql version:
5.0.22-community-nt