Triode;229276 Wrote:
> Network test is very simple and was written without any support from the
> client.  All it does is send repeated screen updates to the player at
> the appropriate rate over the slimproto tcp session.
>
> The main difference between nettest and streaming actual data is the
> size of the buffers being written to the tcp socket - in the case of
> windows I think flac streaming would be 16 or 32K, but here its about
> 1K.  So it needs to do stuff 16 or 32 times more often.
>
> If you suspect stuttering is due to lack of cpu, then ignore nettest
> and look at the other portion of the diagnosis page as it can help to
> see if anything in the server is taking too long.
>
> On my 1.4G single processor llnux box nettest hardly causes a cpu load,
> so I am supprised about its impact on windows in this case.

I have NO idea what is causing my stuttering... I mentioned before my
'path of discovery' which may have led me to an odity, rather than the
cause of my stuttering...

I suspect with some further test I've done this is the case :(

--
NeilF

shuttle sn45g, athlon 3200+, 512mb, xp pro (sp2), squeeze box 3
slimserver version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - windows xp - en - cp1252, perl
version: 5.8.8 mswin32-x86-multi-thread, mysql version:
5.0.22-community-nt