KarylFStein;234516 Wrote:
>  I'm not an audiophile and don't need top-of-the-line stuff as long as
> it sounds decent plugged into my stereo.

I believe that the SB3 was perhaps originally aimed at the audio
mid-market, where names like 'Burr Brown' and phrases like 'lossless
format support' pricked a few ears. Then add wireless streaming
capabilities, SPDIF/out and the attention to detail that the designers
obviously put into the unit and you have a US $200.00 piece of audio
equipment, no question. <Rant>Actually the RRP down here in OZ is AUD
499.00. With the Aussie dollar at over US 0.90, that's a bit hard to
swallow</Rant>
Add to this that up until recently, the SB3 was only available in
selected HiFi Outlets (at least down here), so you expect to pay a bit
more, because you perceive higher quality through that method of
distribution.

Now, if SlimDevices had really set their sites on the market for lower
quality devices, I expect they could have compromised the design and
component quality and produced something for 75% or less of the current
cost of manufacture, but then the differentiator from all the other
music device manufacturers would have been gone, and they were probably
too small to be a 'me too' device manufacturer, not to mention possibly
alienating the cult-like following they have in the audiophile camp.
The release of the transporter shows how much that market drove their
vision, and rightly so. SlimDevices didn't necessarily pander to the
audiophile, but I believe these guys (I expect) wanted the quality to
be reflected in their equipment as much as their anticipated market,
and that's an unqualified recipe for success.
Remember, to quote you, that 'what sounds decent' is highly subjective,
and 'my stereo' is different in every living room. Just have a browse
through the audiophile forum, if you don't believe me.

Now with Logitech in the picture, however, you may just get your wish.
And I'm not bashing Logitech, by the way, it's just the reality of the
market they have traditionally played in, and what that market expects
from that brand. I love my Logitech bluetooth mouse, by the way....

--
peejay

Music is what feelings sound like - Unknown