Well, I made the mistake first saying $200 instead of $300.  So, it
seems like the big thing driving the price is the quality of
components.  I don't mind shelling out money for quality, but it's got
to have a noticeable return.  To my untrained ears, the software
players are fine for what I use it for--background music really.

On the other hand, I did just get a new receiver and subwoofer for the
family room and am hearing things in movies and music that I never had
before.  Maybe you don't know what you're missing until you actually
hear it.  I just can't see taking a $300 gamble on a SB without feeling
pretty sure it'll be worth it.

Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong solution.  I just really love the
capabilities of Slimserver (with some choice plug-ins) and would like
to be able to use that in all rooms instead of just those with a
computer.  Besides, I like appliances because they simplify my life.
(And I'd really like to put a player with built-in speakers in the
bathroom to stream news or what have you in the morning.)  Slimserver
is the only thing I know that can do everything I want, or even close
to it with the same ease after initial configuration.  I hope some more
"mainstream" devices come out (not cheap, but less expensive) that can
make use of all the work I've done on my Slimserver.

--
KarylFStein