I tend to be price sensitive and have never thought of the SB3 as
overpriced.  In fact, I bought it because it was the least expensive
device that fulfilled my minimum requirements for a decent quality
wireless streaming device.  What I *would* like to see is an
inexpensive (< $150) self-contained unit (i.e. boombox) to move around
the house, take out on the porch, use in the baby's room, etc.  Such a
device wouldn't need the pricey near-audiophile capabilities and
fluorescent display, so I think they could keep the price down.

Another thing to consider about the price.  Unlike other similar
devices that I've had (the horrible Linksys Media Adapter comes to
mind), SlimDevices/Logitech is constantly investing their resources in
keeping the software up-to-date.  And their server/web-based approach
makes for a highly flexible system that, to me, has significant value
all by itself.  So to me, $299 is a bargain (and I got mine for $250
during one of the last sales!)

--
Gildahl