Suggestion. Are you familiar with softsqueeze, squeezeslave, and
stream.mp3 ? The two first are software players specifically designed
to work with the slimserver and which can be used for streaming from
the server. The latter provides an mp3-stream which can be accessed
from any streaming-capable software player through the url
http://serverip:9000/stream.mp3. Its VERY flexible.

So why not just buy a SB for your most "shiny" setup, e.g. the living
room stereo, and then use the other methods to access your music in the
kitchen, garden, bedroom, garage etc. Get some old pc's with wireless
interfaces, use Linux and you have all you need for creating very cost
effective stationary setups around your house. Then use a laptop, the
palm, or some of the modern mobile phones, or your favorite choice of
handheld device to play music when you are "roaming your mansion", or
even roaming the world.

Finally the server software is quite powerful. It has many features and
many additional features can be added using the plugins. One of the
really nice features when streaming is the ability to do server side
transcoding. E.g. the ability to use looseless formats on the LAN and
transode to lower bitrates when on WAN.

Overall I think that slimdevices offers alot. They have chosen to use
good quality hardware which comes at a certain cost. Even so, due to
the openness of the design and implementation, they certainly do not
lock people on tight budgets out. You could even choose not to get the
SB at all, but just use the free softsqueeze and slimserver software
and get all the features. Personally I'd rather have it this way
around, than the company offering crappy hardware and leaving it to
third-parties to develop the quality stuff.

This turned out a little more comprehensive than I intended. Still I
hope it conveys some of the reasons I have for believing that the
product is worth the money.

Bjørn

--
bhaagensen