Just to update you on my troubleshooting (with thanks to Slimdevices
support) and to clarify exactly what is going on in my situation (Now
with no wireless, ethernet cable everywhere, SB3, SS6.5.4, WHS).

I setup a playlist with about 100 songs from different albums and
started playing them. Here are the results:
1.      Plays, but at about song 22 stops, 33 seconds from end of song.
Pressing “play” on remote starts song again and it plays without
failing.
2.      Plays, but at about song 57 stops, 2:13 from end of song. Pressing
“play” on remote starts song again and it plays without failing.
3.      Plays but at about song 65 stops after 0:54. Pressing “play” on
remote starts song again and it plays until 0:54 and stops. Display
shows “Rebuffering…0%” shows as playing but has stopped.
4.      Replicate this three times for this particular song.
5.      Change to buffer display. Indicates buffer at 100%, still stops at
0:54 shows “Rebuffering…0%” just as it stops playing, then shows as
playing but has stopped.
6.      Played around with fastforward, if I go to after 0:54 it plays ok
from there.
7.      Tested the FLAC file (FLAC -T) and the file appears ok.

This is the more intersting part....
8.      Play the song on its own in repeat mode. First time it plays
fine, second time stops at 0:54.
9.      Can replicate this. (ie plays fine first time when in repeat
mode, then stops on 2nd play.)

Hopefully this will help the Slimdevices people identify what is going
on.

--
redgum