Mark Lanctot;240591 Wrote:
> So?  The Canadian dollar is now worth $1.07 US.  But prices haven't
> changed here, we still pay a $5 - $15 premium for books, cards and
> magazines, a ~40% premium for audio equipment, and a car costs about
> $10 000 more here.
>
> It turns out that the exchange rate has very little to do with pricing.
> Things are priced at what the manufacturer feels the market will bear.
> That doesn't make it right, but that's how it is.  Europe is more
> expensive to do business in than the U.S. due to taxes and bureaucracy
> - so is Canada.

Yes, so true.  I love the big hubub here in Canada over this.  When the
exchange rate was 1.5 and everything was priced at 1.7x the US price, no
one complained because they where too dumb to do simple math :)

Same with the cars.  The cars being overpriced has been known for
years.  There is a (as of this morning) 539 page thread on redflagdeals
that started in June 2006 on this subject.

--
riffer