gutted;240714 Wrote:
> I recently bought some bits and pieces from US which cost me something
> like $200 (which included a FedEx cost of something like $90).  On
> arrival to UK, I was charged an extra £40(ish) for "clearing" and
> import duty.  For goods which cost around $110, I ended up paying an
> additional $80 (!!) on to the shipping price which, in itself, was
> already kind of high.

Customs brokerage and duties can be a killer.  Shipping companies are
party to blame, incorrect shipping documents are the other part.  The
wrong Harmonisation code and you, the customer, gets stung with the
wrong import fees.  At least with travel to the UK you can feel you've
made someone work for their money.  Canadians get stuck with what can
be up to 50% in surcharges for a package that comes from as little as a
30 minutes away by truck. Don't expect much resolution to this, as these
fees are there for the exact purpose of limiting/controlling
international trade.

-kdf

--
kdf