kdf;240725 Wrote:
> Customs brokerage and duties can be a killer.  ... Canadians get stuck
> with what can be up to 50% in surcharges for a package that comes from
> as little as a 30 minutes away by truck. Don't expect much resolution
> to this, as these fees are there for the exact purpose of
> limiting/controlling international trade.

There are no duties on goods coming from the US and made in any
preferred nation, including US, Mexico, Japan, China and so many others
that you're unlikely to ever see a duty charge. Every piece of
electronics seems to come from a preferred nation so you'll just pay
the federal tax of 6% and the provincial tax, which in Ontario is 8%.

Customs fees depend completely on who clears your package through
customs.  The post office charges $5 for items under about $1000 and
approximately $15 for items above. UPS charges some flat base amount
and then seems to apply some random factor to it. FedEx charges $15
flat for items at least up to $1000.

I had UPS show up at my door trying to deliver a MAGAZINE ($5) and
wanting to collect $37 in brokerage. I refused the delivery of course
(it wasn't something I ordered anyway).

You can arrange for your own customs broker or even go broker it
yourself.

Overnight and other premium shipping options generally include
brokerage cots (such is the case with UPS's higher-priced options and
FedEx).

If someone is getting stuck with 50% charges it's likely the shipping
documentation was improperly filled out and the customs value
over-specified.

I ship 20 to 100 packages per week to all points around the world.
They're typically valued between $25 and $50 Canadian and I have yet to
hear of anyone having to pay any import tax or duties into their
importing countries, including the UK. Canada post classifies these
packages as "samples" and this coupled with the low (but correct)
valuation must be the reason why.

UPS lost my SqueezeBox last year.  But still tried to collect tax and
brokerage on it. When SlimDevices shipped a replacement (which only
happened after a UPS-induced lengthy delay) they processed it such that
they would cover all costs for shipping and ancillary charges. UPS
collected all these funds from Slim and still tried to collect them
AGAIN from me.  Luckily they delivered the package and tried to collect
later, not at delivery time.  I told them (and later the collection
agency) to take a hike.

I generally avoid all shipments via UPS, because it's not so much
Canadian taxation policies that will get you in fees, but the carrier.
Canadian service companies have a long track record of abusing public
ignorance.  Just look at the  telecom and cable industries in this
country.

--
MelonMonkey

Bruno
*'Twisted Melon - Fine Mac OS Software' (http://twistedmelon.com) |
'mira - Personal Control for your Apple Remote'
(http://twistedmelon.com)*