Craig, James \(IT\);249801 Wrote:

> Hi Michael, I've been meaning to say for a while, I find the new web
> interface incredibly slow.
> I'm running from SVN on Windows XP, Firefox 2.
>
> Firstly, It takes almost a minute to fully load.
> Secondly, I have observed that if I open two tabs in Firefox, one with
> the default page, the other with any other website, when the
> SqueezeCentre tab is active (but fully loaded and doing nothing),
> Firefox uses 100% CPU time. Switch to the other tab and CPU usage
> disappears. Back to SC, CPU back to 100%

If I've had the 100% CPU problem, I haven't really noticed it. But the
New Default skin does seem quite slow at times. Very often I have to
wait a few seconds after a frame loads before Firefox (1.5, old but
still supported by the vendor, Ubuntu release) will highlight lines I
mouse over, etc. I've been halfway planning on swtching to /Classic
once I jump to 7.x fulltime.

Another unrelated New Default comment: especially on short item names,
there's a lot of blank horizontal space between item name and the small
Add/Play/etc. icons. It's sometimes a hassle to mouseover the item and
then slide right to the icon -- it's easiest to select an item by
mousing over the text, and then I often (esp. with a built-in laptop
pointing device) drift a few pixels up or down and suddenly I'm
highlighting a different line. Have you looked at maybe making the
icons appear on the left? That should help with my "vertical drift"
problem, and you'd also benefit -- at least when the user's browser is
fullscreen -- from the fact that it's easier to mouse to a spot along
the edge of the screen than in the middle (it's easier and faster still
to mouse to one of the 4 corners, but that's not relevant here).

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade
StatusFirst VolumeLock